Friday, May 4, 2007

VISA in the Bag

TheLadiesChoice woke up at 5am to join the throng of my countrymen hoping against all hope of securing their license for their shot at the American dream. My own student visa application proceeded without a hitch. I aced the finger-scanning portion quite easily (no sweaty hands for me!). The consul just asked which school I was attending, how long the program was and how I expected to pay for the tuition. As a certified Mama's boy, my mom had already prepared all the necessary supporting documents and even colored-coded all the files. Everything was a breeze, and by 930 I was already paying Delbros to have my passport and new student visa delivered to my house.

Again, as Third Eye Blind once said, "I remember the stupid things." I was a bit saddened to see my countrymen wheedle, plead, beg and almost prostrate themselves in front of the almighty consuls. Even as they were applying for non-immigrant visas, I could hear through their heavily accented English that raw desire to just get to the land of milk and honey. I'm sure the consuls could also feel the desperation in their voices. Applying for non-immigrant visas are a shame and a sham. I'm sure close to 80% of those applying have 100% intention of finding work in the States and snagging the elusive greencard.

They aren't coming back. As a matter of fact, I can't blame them either.

1 comment:

Bubbly said...

good luck iwht your MBA, although the states... hmm... you sure?