Sunday, May 13, 2007

Why I Like Chris Webber


Chris Webber is probably one of the most intriguing characters in the history of professional basketball. All experts agree that he has all the genetic traits and qualities, all the skill sets that make up a basketball player for the AGES. But there's always something not quite right about C-Webb. He's a big power forward but is more known for his passing. Here's a guy who could score 30pts a night, but instead favors a behind the back pass. A legitimate franchise player who defers to other players during crunch time. An obvious dunk machine who decides on a medium range jumper more often than not. A legendary high school phenom who revolutionized college basketball (along with the Fab 5) yet failed to win the NCAA championship. And of course, a go-to player who infamously called time-out (when his team didn't have any left) in the closing seconds of the championship game thus awarding possession to the opposing team. A multi-millionaire with a billion dollar smile who got dumped by supermodel Tyra Banks.

In the end, C-Webb is all about potential. About expectations. About chips on the shoulder. He is about inner demons.

In some ways, I've always identified with him. I've always had to deal with expectations (real or imagined). I have always been very good, but not quite the very best. I've always had doubters and I've always had doubts. People have said that there's always something not quite right about me. Some inexplainable character flaw. Some sort of block to true potential.

But maybe that's just me. Maybe that's just who I really am. Maybe that's why I'll always have that chip on my shoulder. Why the demons will always be there.

Maybe I like it that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like chris webber now too.