Monday, April 9, 2007

A Uniquely Humbling Experience

TheLadiesChoice quite unexpectedly found himself in the midst of a debut party in his long-forgotten hometown, a far-off barrio and a lifetime away from TheMetroCity. It's been decades since I've participated in such a provincial celebration. But, it was not the unsanitary food, not the stinky stench of a nearby canal nor the unsightly, gaudy and garish color schemes that struck me the most but rather the earnest smiles, the wistful dreams and the simplicity of life of the common folk. These are the people who truly make up the backbone of my third-world country. More importantly they are the self-same clients of my family's business. Ours has forever been a refuge for the rural poor. And there I was last night amongst the salt of the earth who are ultimately responsible for sending me to business school.

It's been a while since I touched base with my roots, but I am deeply grateful that I did. I am truly humbled by the experience. It's a very, very long way from the town of Gawilab to Chicago. A long way from goat's milk, farmers and fishermen to one of the top business schools in world.

2 comments:

ipoel said...

i like this post.. so personal..

Kimmy said...

aw, that's really nice :)

and thanks for your comment on my blog :) unfortunately, coz of time & circumstances, kellogg had to waive my interview to be able to process my app in time. not too thrilled abt not getting to interview anymore, but i hope it still turns out well :)