Wednesday, April 4, 2007

A Rather Rudimentary Attempt at Choosing a Post-MBA Job

Okay, TheLadiesChoice is in the doldrums of the MBA matriculation process. I know I should be neck-deep in preparing the paperwork for my visa but I can't seem to find any inspiration in filling-up tedious F-1 forms, I-20s and SEVIS fees. So I've decided to try to determine what would be the best career for my post-MBA. Here's the simple exercise that I did during my last week at work (you can see that I had way too much time on my hands). As mentioned previously, I find myself inclined to join the typical MBA bandwagons of management consulting and investment banking. I'm such a sucker for peer pressure. Of course, I really enjoy marketing and do believe I have a natural knack for the job so I've included going back to industry as part of my options. I listed the job-related concerns that I have and gave weights in order of importance. Then I rated each career option on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most favorable. The first table looks like this:














Multiplying the weights to the ratings gives the the final table below.







Some caveats: I have absolutely no first-hand knowledge about management consulting and investment banking. The ratings above are a reflection of the impressions I've gotten from people I've talked to, message boards I've read, and of course Hollywood's portrayal of the said professions. A lot of people will have different job-related concerns but these here are my own. The weights I hope are representative of an afternoon's worth of deep soul-searching in front of my office PC at the expense of course of my previous employer, ThePlaceToBe.

For me Compensation is 30%. I have a family to feed, places to see and Ferraris to drive so shoot me.

Work Hours is also a concern; I've never heard anyone who actually enjoys being cooped up in a cube 20 hours a day.

It may come as a surprise, but I hate travel. I hate the anxiety of long lines, delayed flight schedules and I hate flying.

I'll give in to my inner prestige whore and allocate 15% to wow-factor.

Entrance difficulty is also a concern. As an international student with no finance or consulting background I have a gnawing fear of not having a job at graduation due to my lack of prior work experience. My demons keep me company.

Exit strategies to industry are also a concern. Eventually I do want to go back to industry and hopefully be fast tracked to a C-level position. I'm a corporate ladder kind of guy and I can't help it.

The last 15% goes to all the other self-actualization factors that go into job search. Will I fit in? Will I have find meaning in my work? Will I enjoy doing what I do? Basically at the end of the day, I still want to give props to all the values and principles I learned UpOnTheHill.

Looks like it's Investment Banking for me for now. Will let you know TheLadiesChoice's thoughts on this startling development soon.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lot more "scientific" than the rest of us are doing. I'm sure interacting with on-campus recruiters, classmates and your school's job placement office will also help loads in your decision process. =)

the being said...

lol! you have used your brain. some like me just use our lower abdominal region. the gut :P

anyways, how come i did'nt see job function as your criteria? consider wat you will actually by doing?

Anonymous said...

"I have a gnawing fear of not having a job at graduation due to my lack of prior work experience.

ahh the power of an MBA. MBA the great equalizer. most consulting associate positions were obtained because of their MBA, not because of their previous work experience. check out the profiles of most consulting associates in consulting websites. you'll see that most worked in other fields but what they had in common is that they all have name brand MBA's.