Friday, March 30, 2007

Living Quarters...choices, choices, choices


In a couple of days, the online application for my bschool's on-campus student housing will be up and running. It's going to be lottery-based so there is no guarantee that I'll be able to secure a spot. Nonetheless, I remain very optimistic since I've read quite a few posts in the student-discussion boards hosted by the school that pretty much everyone who wanted a slot got one. Turns out, that despite the relative convenience of living in-campus, this type of housing is significantly more attractive for international students like myself. The locals, or those living in the States prefer to source their own living quarters from the vast array of surrounding apartments and condos. No doubt, they aren't afraid of the extreme weather conditions or the culture shock that are sure to send tropically-inclined people like me scurrying for cover. I hear the cost-savings of living off-campus are quite tempting as well.

I've pretty much decided on on-campus housing. I have no plans of buying a car during bschool, and since the units all come furnished that also solves any problems of buying furniture, setting up Internet and phone access and all the hassles of moving into a new place. My dilemma now is whether to choose a studio unit, a one-bedroom unit or a twin-studio(!). If costs weren't an issue, I'd go for the one-bedroom unit. Think of the parties, poker nights and PS2 tournaments that can be accommodated by my spanking bachelor pad! But alas, the price is not right. So I'm stuck between a studio or a twin-studio with the latter being the more economical choice.

So what's the problem, you ask?

The thing with the twin-studio is that I'd be sharing a common kitchen and bathroom with a roommate (horror of horrors!).

Well, if you must know, TheLadiesChoice is actually one big mama's boy. Yup, that's right, I've never lived away from home and thus have never felt any compulsion or need to do any household chores. I'm like an undomesticated wild animal...well as wild an animal as a 27 year-old who can't cook, clean, or do laundry can be. Failure to launch indeed.

My thinking is that, if I'm going to have to clean the toilet, then I might as well be assured that I'm cleaning my own crap. I really can't imagine sharing something I hold so sacred with another human being. If it's going to be a mess, then it might as well be my mess.

The price difference is a whopping $300 a month. A small price to pay for my peace of crap. Haha.






3 comments:

Bancaku said...

which school is this?

TheLC said...

somewhere cold in chicago!

Boywonder said...

theLC, thanks for posting on my site. I had no idea oncampus housing looked so nice on the inside. Wish I took the tour now. Anways, keep up the good work (chillin) and I'll let you know where I ultimately decide.