Sunday, August 12, 2007

Mother of Exiles


After a grueling flight passing through Nagoya and Detroit, TheLC finally landed in the Big Apple. Although this isn't my first time in the big bad City, I still wandered around like a wild-eyed tourist: gawking at the skyscrapers, getting lost in the subway, scuttling through endless museums and even managing to lose $40 after getting mugged/conned by someone that frighteningly looked like TheAnswer, Allen Iverson. Third Eye Blind once said, "Where's the soul, I want to know. New York City's evil."

But alas, NYC still remains my all-time favorite city. I absolutely heart NY. This is why I made it a point to make this my first stop. The City is so alive and full of promise. They say that if ever you get bored in NYC, then it's entirely your fault. TheLC could learn to live here.

Of course, the ultimate highlight of the trip is my traditional pilgrimage to Liberty Island. This time I also passed by historic Ellis Island, America's Gateway where 12million immigrants entered the land of the free. I feel a certain sense of kinship with these exiles, and share the excitement, elation and anxiety that must have coursed through them as Lady Liberty beckoned them to the breathtaking Manhattan skyline.

The Statue of Liberty has been called the Mother of Exiles. While TheLadiesChoice does not consider myself to be such, I will consider this Home of the Brave, my home at least for the next two years.

1 comment:

bluey said...

hey fellow south-east asian,
going to Chicago? have yet to go thru all ur earlier entries but made a guess...
i'm going to attend an information session by Chicago B-School next month. Did you attend any last time?

Bluey